Wednesday 26 October 2011

Why is my file transfer speed slow?

I have a small home network with 4 machines on it. It utilizes a wireless network. I have used it ocassionally to transfer files form one machine to another. In the past I could xfer a large file, say 400 mb in about 3-5 minutes. Recently something has changed as now the same size file takes maybe 90 minutes if it goes anywhere at all.

Any ideas on what may have changed?
Why is my file transfer speed slow?
I also have a home network with 4 machines, but only one uses the wireless part of the network. From time to time when my son is accessing his online game and we are competing for bandwidth (his machine is hard wired) my wireless laptop starts to lag. There are two things that sometime works for me:



1. click on the system tray icon for the wireless network and select repair. This disables and re enables the wireless card, then get a new IP address. This works most of the time. or......



2. power down your router and power it back up, but make sure everyone on the network knows what your doing, because you will interrupt file transfers and internet access. Sometimes I have to do both.



If it continues us may want to update your router's software. See your routers Mfg. web site for update downloads.
Why is my file transfer speed slow?
Check if there are other WLANS nearby (neighbours), if that is the case and they use the same frequency this might be the problem.

The default setting of common routers often use the same frequencies.
Use what Tenax said however If that doesn't work



I suggest you use linux instead its much faster in everything



if you want to findout about linux use this site



http://www.computersight.com/Operating-S鈥?/a>



you can download at http://www.ubuntu.com



good luck at making your computer faster!