Friday 7 October 2011

For the same resolution of a JPEG image, does a different file size signify a lost in quality?

My digital camera captures images at 2816 by 2112 for about 1.7 MB. But when I open them in Microsoft Paint and save without changes, the size reduces to about 800 KB. Resolution remains the same. I compared by zooming in but can't tell of any quality lost. Should I continue so as to reduce space? Has the quality been reduced?



I want to keep my pictures in high quality but it's a waste of space if the quality lost is insignificant.



Hope that someone knows something. Thanks.
For the same resolution of a JPEG image, does a different file size signify a lost in quality?
The larger the file size the better the resolution. I shoot RAW files that are between 8 and 9MB ... when converted to a TIFF they get huge ... like 30MB



You are not going to see any difference on you monitor .. it only resolves 72 DPI



High resolution is necessary for publishing and printing large images ... Always shoot at the highest resolution because you never know when you may get a shot that you will want to enlarge BIG.



2GB cards were $14 this weekend .. And if you save all your original files on a CD, you will not run out of space on your hard drive ... or you can do what we pros do .. get 500GB drives when they are on sale for under $100 each.
  • does any ram fit on my computer
  • ideal marriage age
  •