Wednesday 26 October 2011

How do I change the size of .PDF or .AI document?

I need to submit a brochure design to a printing company. I've already submitted the file for the cover with no problem, but the inside of the brocure, after converting it to .PDF is 55.1 Mb.

There is a file upload page, but the max size that it takes is 50 Mb.

I tried sending it as an email attachment, but that didn't work.

I even put it in a zip folder, but it doesn't seem to have changed the file size at all (am I doing something wrong?)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
How do I change the size of .PDF or .AI document?
You could upload the file to a website like

http://www.yousendit.com/



Then e-mail the link to them.





If you have Adobe Acrobat, it has an option to optimize the PDF... Since you can't edit a PDF with Acrobat Reader, you need the full Acrobat.



Advanced %26gt; PDF Optimizer



It will make your PDF smaller in size, though you may need to tinker with the optimizer a bit before you get what you want.
How do I change the size of .PDF or .AI document?
Great answer. Just tinkering around with the numbers in 'Downsample%26quot; is all you need. I changed mine from 150 to 100 for images above 225 and bingo, it went down from 7.1MB to a few hundred KB. Thanks for the great answer.



Keep up the good work.

Report Abuse


Try using 7zip and ultra compression - it might just get it down to size.



Or you could split it into 2 files with half the pages in each (copy the file to another file, delete the first half in one, delete the second half in the other).