Friday 7 October 2011

Virtual Memory: Paging File Size Question?

Okay, so my computer has been slow for a while now, maybe a year. I was recommended to purchase more RAM to fix the problem, so I just installed it earlier this morning.



But when I looked at the virtual memory options, the paging file size was at an initial size of 768 MB, with a maximum size of 1536 MB. These numbers are exactly the same as they were before I installed more RAM, so I'm thinking that I need to change these numbers to make my computer faster.



On the bottom of the paging file size window, it says the recommended size is 2299 MB. So finally, my question is whether I should leave the numbers as they were before I installed more RAM, or should I change the size to the recommended value?
Virtual Memory: Paging File Size Question?
Paging file size increase won't dramatically make your computer faster-- RAM is something like 1000x faster than your harddrive at accessing data.



I advise you leave it at what it was originally, and get some more RAM! (Btw how much do you have?)



Also consider defragmenting your hard drive, after a while it will make things slow accessing files and stuff if you don't.



~Purr



If you're thinking of upgrading your OS, go to Linux. Ubuntu and Debian are good distros (Agrees with Ryuu)
Virtual Memory: Paging File Size Question?
It is advisable to check the %26quot;Let the system decide%26quot;.

I have had many problems in the past when I started mucking around with these settings, so it is best to let the computer decide how much PF it needs.
Standard rule of thumb I have always gone by is setting the paging file size to 1 1/2 times the total ram you have installed. Other than that you really can't go wrong with the recommended value.
If your drive is partitioned,choose no page file for the partition that contains windows and make the minimum and maximum the same number for the other partition.It used to be 1.5 times the amount of ram you have but most places recommend 2-3 times the amount of ram you have now,but never over 3 times.
If you have more than 1GB of RAM, you should set the swap file to the same size as RAM, however, buying more RAM or changing this setting is not the answer.



Why it was fast and now is slow? that's the question, the answer is simple, it's because of the uber-inefficient filesystem implementation used by Windows, and the configuration data-base, a.k.a. %26quot;The Registry%26quot;, which is like a filesystem too, but more inefficient.



Best solution: Replace windows with some GNU/Linux flavor.



Somewhat a solution: Replace Windows with ReactOS, which is a free Windows implementation, not stable yet, but might work.